We're just finishing off our October Newsletter here at Gluten Free Foods HQ, so it's all pumpkins, Halloween and comfort food!
To kick off the start of Autumn, here is our top pick for a comfort meal! Each week we'll post a different take on the classic Roast. Let's start with the traditional!
Simple Roast Chicken, stuffing and seasonal veg
(serves 6- the whole family)
1 large free-range chicken, giblets removed (about 2kg)
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly
1 lemon, sliced
A bunch of rosemary sprigs
* Heat the oven to 190c.
* Scatter the roasting tray with the chopped veg then stuff the chicken cavity with the lemon and rosemary and season with salt and pepper.
* Smother the chicken with butter and season the skin with salt and pepper.
* Place in the oven for 1hr 20 mins (this will be the ideal amount of time for a perfectly roasted chicken).
*Once cooked through (the juices should run clear), leave to rest for 20 mins.
Meanwhile: The stuffing
330ml boiling water
20g butter or margarine to top the stuffing
Gluten Free Sage and Onion stuffing
* Grease an oven-proof dish and pour in the stuffing mix.
* Pour in the boiling water and stir.
* Leave to rest for 10-15 minutes.
* Dot the top with butter and bake in the oven at 180c for 20 minutes.
Serve with a selection of seasonal veg and pour over the delicious juices of the chicken: we love to roast some squash with a drizzle of honey! Get in the autumnal spirit!
Sign up to our newsletter to get more recipe inspirations