We went Wimbledon crazy here at Gluten Free-Foods HQ this weekend and in celebratory mode, we decided to rustle up some cupcakes with a Wimbledon twist whilst remaining gluten free, of course.
So here we have: Strawberry and Cream Cupcakes
200g unsalted butter (softened is best)
200 g caster sugar
3 eggs (beaten)
3tbsp single cream (or dairy free equivalent)
1 tsp lemon juice
1tsp vanilla extract
200g Barkat gluten free flour mix
1/2 tsp salt
150g strawberries, hulled, plus 6 extra, hulled and sliced, to decorate
300ml double cream (or dairy free equivalent
4 tsp icing sugar
12 tsp strawberry jam
* Preheat the over to 180c; line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
* Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and whisk (ideally using an electric beater) until light and fluffy.
* In a jug, lightly beat together the eggs, cream, lemon juice and vanilla; gradually beat into the creamed butter and sugar.
* Add the flour and salt and gently beat until smooth and thick
* Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 18-20 minutes until light golden on top and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
* Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
* For the topping, blitz the whole strawberries in a food processor and then sieve discarding the pulp
* Whip the cream and icing sugar to medium peaks and then stir through the strawberry puree.
* Put a teaspoon of jam in the centre of each cake; spoon the cream over the top.
* Decorate with the strawberry slices
The cupcakes will taste that extra bit bouncy because of the cream-enriched sponge! We love this alternative spin on the classic Victoria Sponge Cake.